Tuesday, August 18, 2015

About that time.

Dominic is 8 and a half years old, more and more he is realizing he's different from those around him. He is becoming frustrated with himself when he tries to explain or understand things. He tells me he's never going to learn or that he is stupid. Although I have not quite figured out the best way to explain it to him I think we are getting close to the time where we need to talk about his autism. I want him to know that it makes his brain work differently but that it's not a bad thing. All of the things he builds, the lines he makes, his amazing memory, these are all the great things that have come from his autism. He may learn differently than others and at his own pace but I want him to know that's okay. I want him to know there's a reason for his struggles but that they don't define him and that he can overcome them. I want him to know that his autism is a blessing and it is an amazing part of his life and nothing to be ashamed of. I am not sure when exactly we will have this conversation but I know it will be soon and I think it's going to be a good thing for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment